- Colds are not caused by cold air drafts, or getting wet or chilled
- Antibiotics won’t help a cold because it’s a viral infection.
- Cold symptoms usually worsen during the first three to five days, then gradually improve. But it’s normal for coughs to linger for two to three weeks – anything more is more than a cold and should be seen by your physician.
- Frequent hand washing is one good defense against colds.
- People with the flu virus can be contagious at least a day before they show symptoms – and up to four days after their symptoms begin.
- The flu virus is very contagious. You can become ill from 18 to 72 hours after exposure.The flu is a major misery – but not usually dangerous for a healthy child or adult. It can send you to bed for at least five days. A cough and/or fatigue can linger for days or weeks afterward.
- The flu can be life threatening for older adults or those with chronic illnesses.The flu is caused by a virus and cannot be made better with antibiotics. Those drugs are good only for fighting bacteria.
About the Flu Vaccine
Vaccinations are controversial – flu shots usually contain mercury, a potent neurotoxin, and are not always specific for this year’s version of the flu. This is because they are manufactured before the actual strain causing this year’s flu is known. Consequently, the flu shot doesn’t always confer protection and may actually cause illness from adding to the body’s toxic load. Still, many people take the flu shot and this is not about telling you NOT to get one. That's a choice you make for yourself.
Don't want to take the flu shot?
For those who don't want the flu shot, here's one alternative -- The best, non-toxic defense against the flu is Oscillococcinum (ah-sill-o-cox’-sin-um), available at most drug stores, grocery stores and health food stores. Oscillococcinum has been shown in clinical studies to decrease the duration and intensity of flu symptoms.
Starting this week, line everyone up once or twice a week. Give everyone a capful of the little pellets from a vial of Oscillococcinum. Take the tablets under the tongue (sublingual). It's better because it goes into your system bloodstream faster than if it had to go through your entire digestive tract. Let the pellets dissolve. Remember to take it 15 minutes away from food and toothpaste. That’s it – it’s that simple.
When others around you come down with the flu, take the capful more often, maybe every day. At the first signs of achy muscles, fatigue, or other symptom of the flu, take a capful three times a day or more. We’ve known folks who have all the symptoms of surely getting the flu chase it away completely with this remedy. It’s homeopathic, so there are no side effects. Some report that they felt ill, took the remedy and felt better within minutes; then, when they felt symptoms returning, took the remedy again, and continued this way until symptoms never came back. You have to catch it early; this remedy doesn’t work when you already have the full-blown array of symptoms. Oh, and don’t forget the vitamin C, plenty of water, and lots of sleep.
From Doni Wilson, Naturopathic Doctor