Besides being a great side to go with many of the heavy Hungarian meals, cucumbers have many health benefits. They are often referred to as a superfood. They are the fourth most cultivated vegetable in the world and one of the best foods for your body's overall health. The warning is that they are often sprayed with pesticides so it is important to buy them organic or even better, grow them yourself!
Here are some benefits of cucumbers:
- Quick pick me-up - Forget the soda and coffee, eat some cucumber slices or do what I do, just peel one and eat it like you would a carrot. They are a great source of B vitamins.
- Rehydrate your body and replenish daily vitamins - with such a high amount of wate and vitamins, they are bound help quench your thirst as well as supply you with be vitamins and electrolytes.
- Skin care - Place a slice over puffy eyes and its anti-inflammatory properties help reduce puffiness.
- Home care - Eliminates a foggy mirror. Before taking a shower, rub a cucumber slice along a mirror and it will eliminate the mirror fogging up. Instead of WD40, take a cucumber slice and rub it along a squeaky hinge and your door will stop squeaking.
- Relieve bad breath - Take a slice of cucumber and press it to the roof of your mouth with your tongue for 30 seconds, the phytochemcials will kill the bacteria in your mouth responsible for causing bad breath.
- Hangover cure - To avoid a morning hangover or headache; eat a few cucumber slices before going to bed. With the sugar, B vitamins and electrolytes they help replenish many essential nutrients, reducing the intensity of both hangover and headache.
- Aid in weight loss and digestion - Due to its low calorie and high water content, cucumber is an ideal diet for people who are looking for weight loss. The water content and fiber in cucumbers help to effectively rid the body of toxins aiding digestion. They are also good for chronic constipation.
- Great for the joints, gout, arthritis - Cucumbers are rich in vitamins A, B1, B6, C & D, Folate, Calcium, Magnesium, and Potassium. When mixed with carrot juice, they can relieve gout and arthritis pain by lowering the uric acid levels