From Veganomicon Cookbook
Vegan, Gluten-Free, Soy Free
I love this recipe and it has always been a hit. You can even have it for lunch in a wrap. I add coconut milk to the recipe to make it a little creamier but it tastes delicious on its own.
Savory, tangy and sweet, these Indian-inspired lentils are simple to prepare while cooking any basmati or brown rice and vegetable side dish.
Tip: For best results, use a small lentil that keeps its shape during cooking, such as black or green lentils. Brown lentils can be used but tend to get a little mushy.
3 tablespoons coconut or peanut oil
3 cloves of garlic, minced
½ inch cube fresh ginger, peeled and minced
1 large onion, diced
1 teaspoon garam masala
½ teaspoon whole cumin seeds
Generous pinch of cayenne
1 cup dried lentils (preferably black or green), picked over and rinsed
2 cups vegetable broth
2 teaspoons concentrated tamarind syrup or paste
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup or agave nectar
2 tablespoons tomato paste
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup of coconut milk (optional)
- In a heavy-bottomed medium-sized pot with a lid, melt the coconut oil over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and ginger and let sizzle for 30 seconds.
- Add the onion and fry until translucent and soft, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in the garam masala, cumin seeds and cayenne and stir for another 30 seconds until the spices smell fragrant.
- Add the lentils and vegetable broth. Increase the heat to high and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Stir and lower the heat to medium-low. Partially cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally until the lentils have absorbed most of the liquid and are very tender (black lentils will be a bit harder and chewy but still delicious!) The lentils will be very thick, add a few tablespoons of water if a thinner consistency is desired.
- In a small cup or bowl, combine the tamarind, maple syrup or paste (or agave nectar), tomato paste and salt.
- Use a rubber spatula to scrape all of the mixture into the lentils.
- If using coconut milk, add it now (I like it to be a little creamy)
- Stir to completely dissolve the flavorings.
- Simmer the mixture for another 4-6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Adjust the salt to taste and serve immediately.
To print this recipe, download the PDF by clicking "Download File" below.