I LOVE PAPRIKÁS!!!! Growing up, the dish which made me want to go back for more was chicken paprikás. Later on, when I decided to give up meat and still have dairy, I made mushroom paprikás with sour cream – also delicious. Now, I decided to try a vegan version using cashews. It is quite tasty and creamy and it’s vegan! If you don’t want to use cashew sour cream, you can always use regular sour cream if you’re okay with dairy. Green Valley makes a lactose free sour cream with is pretty good especially if you can’t digest the dairy well but want the taste. I happen to like the vegan sour cream here.
2 Tbl extra virgin olive oil
1 medium yellow onion
3 cloves chopped garlic
1 Tbl paprika (mild or hot)
2 cups sliced mushrooms
1 cup vegetable broth
- Heat olive oil in pan
- Saute onion until translucent
- Add garlic
- Sprinkle paprika into onion and garlic mixture and stir
- Add mushrooms
- Add vegetable broth
- Cook for 5-10 minutes
- Whisk 2 tablespoons of flour to one cup of cashew sour cream until heated through
Vegan Sour Cream from Oh She Glows!
Oh She Glows! Vegan Sour Cream
Not the real sour cream, but is good enough for those of us who don't want the dairy.
Vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, no bake/raw, oil-free, refined sugar-free, soy-free. Rich and tangy, this vegan sour cream makes the perfect compliment to any bowl of chili or Mexican entrée. Be sure to soak the cashews in a bowl of water for at least a couple hours (preferable overnight) before you begin.
Yield: 3/4 cup
Soak time: 2-8 hours
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked
- 1/2-3/4 cup water, as needed
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt, to taste
- Place cashews in a bowl and cover with water. Soak for a minimum of 2 hours, preferably overnight or for 8 hours if you have the time.
- Drain and rinse the cashews and place in the blender.
- Add water, lemon, vinegar, and salt. Blend on high until smooth. You might have to stop to scrape down the blender now and then or add a touch more water to get it going.
- Once it's super smooth, it's ready! Transfer into a small container. The cream will thicken up as it sits.