I have been on a plant-based diet for over 8 months now. It hasn't always been easy but getting easier each day. My incentive to continue? I've never felt better. I'm usually able to find vegan options at just about any restaurant (even a beer garden where they have LOTS of meat and dairy meals).
I've had a few people write me asking for some tips on going on a diet of this type...mostly for detoxing or cleansing for a few weeks. So, here are some suggestions.
It's always good to research for yourself so be sure to do that.
- Eat a wide variety of fresh vegetables.
- Stick as close to nature as possible.
- East mostly organic vegetables. Why go on a diet where fruits and vegetables are the main component if you're going to ingest the chemicals sprayed on them?
- No matter what kind of diet you are on, you want to be sure you get a vast variety of foods. Be sure to get a range of whole grains, legumes, fruits, vegetables and a little of nuts and seeds.
- All the fruits and vegetables with the different colors of the rainbow represent the different phytonutrients, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals you need for optimal health.
- Make sure you get enough vitamin B12. It’s the only nutrient you cannot get from plant-based foods. It’s made in bacteria and that is how you get it from animals...because animals consume it and its in their stomachs. You should get 2000-2500 mcg (micrograms) every single week. 1 milligram is equal to 1000 micrograms. You can take bits of it throughout the week or take one lump sum once a week. It is available in sub-lingual tablets (in my opinion, the best way to take it for it goes straight into the bloodstream), complex B vitamin supplements which contain B12, nutritional yeast and a lot of fortified plant-based milks. Don’t miss your B12 because you can end up with neurological problems and not realize it until it’s too late.
- Maintain a social network so that you don’t isolate yourself. Look for groups through meet-ups, potlucks, social networks, blogs. Maintain connection and it will help you feel good and have the support you need to keep going and feel fabulous about what you’re doing.