I love Plant-Based Dietitian and a lot of what Julieanna writes about rings very true with me. Her posts have helped me a lot along the way. Today, she posted about transitioning to a plant-based diet. I didn't jump in cold tofu (or beans) but it was a transition that lasted a few years for me. My studies at the Institute for Integrative Nutrition helped me become more knowledgeable about the foods I was eating and I gradually transitioned over. On that note, I wanted to share Julieanna's post with you today.
From Julieanna Hever -
Transitioning to a plant-based diet is a journey. For the majority of people this doesn't happen overnight, jumping in cold tofu. Instead, it is common to start omitting one animal product at a time while incorporating more whole plant foods, meatless meals, meatless Mondays, meatless weeks, until -- Voila! -- you are eating a whole food, plant-based diet.
Here are 3 tips for making the transition smoothly:
- Enjoy the process! Make this a fun, exciting adventure where you get to discover an entirely new way of eating, preparing food, shopping, cooking...all optimistic and pleasurable, without judgment, self-flagellation, or criticism. Compassion towards yourself and your journey is key.
- Experiment all the time with new ingredients, new recipes, new restaurants. Check out books, blogs, cookbooks, documentary films, and websites filled with facts, recipes, and information to encourage and inspire you. (Kathy's Note: I can't tell you how many recipes I've tried since starting this plant-based journey...and how many have been...well...ditched. But I've gotten better and although I occasionally have the "bad" recipe or experiment, for the most part, my meals have been delicious! See my post on what cookbooks I use here - http://www.kathyshealthyliving.com/1/post/2014/03/some-cookbooks-i-use-for-my-plant-based-diet.html)
- Engage social support. It is vital to have people who are both there for your best interest (family, friends) and those who are going through the same journey to discuss, share experiences, and lean on. Join us here, on other websites, in Meetups, at conferences, and at local events to strengthen your core group. (Kathy's Note: I'm afraid I don't have many family members or friends who are on the same journey but I do have support and understanding - but it has taken a while and still a work in progress).
- 10 Tips for Easing Into Plant-Based Eating: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kathy-stevens/plant-based-eating_b_5029243.html
- 10 Questions with Gene Baur: http://time.com/39854/10-questions-with-gene-baur/
- Harpers Bazaar's 9 Day Plant-Based Diet: http://www.harpersbazaar.com/beauty/health-wellness-articles/whole-food-plant-based-diet-0514
- Vegan Cuisine Aims for the Mainstream: http://features.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2014/04/18/vegan-restaurants/
- Ways to go Whole Food, Plant-Based: http://plantbaseddietitian.com/eating-whole-food-plant-based/
- Eating Meat...the Facts: http://visual.ly/eating-animals-facts
- Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
- Mercy For Animals