To print this recipe, download the pdf here -
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
1¾ cup flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
½ cup unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons grated orange zest (optional)
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
1 ½ cups unsalted shelled pistachio nuts
- Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine butter, sugar, orange zest and vanilla.
- Beat until light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs one at a time .
- Add pistachio nuts.
- Add flour mixture into large bowl.
- Mix up, cover and chill for about an hour.
- Butter and flour a large baking/cookie sheet.
- Divide dough in half.
- Flour your hand and break the piece into 2 logs approximately 1 ½ inches in diameter. Don’t fuss over this – it’s not an art project.
- Place on cookie sheet and keep 5 inches apart.
- Bake until brown and firm to the touch – about 30 minutes (keep an eye on it).
- Remove and cool the cookies.
- On a cutting board, using a serrated knife, cut on diagonal into ¾ inch slices.
- Put back in oven for another 12-15 minutes until gold.
- Cool – store up to 2 weeks (but it won't last 2 days!).